Monday 3 March 2014

Oxford in pictures

Norway is a pretty small country compared to the UK, with a population just over 5 million. The city I grew up in, Drammen, located just outside of Oslo, has a population of 66,200, so Oxford with a population of 150,200 suddenly feels quite big. Just to put things in perspective; London’s population is bigger than Norway’s combined. One of the things I love about Oxford is that there’s always something to do or see. I’m a big fan of walking and love to explore cities by foot rather than on a bus, and especially when Oxford is soaked in sun! My favourite places so far in Oxford are located outside of the city centre, and tend to be discovered by coincidence, but that’s part of the charm with this city, there are always new places to see! Of course there’s a lot to see in and around the city centre, but the hidden pearls, at least in my opinion, are outside of the city centre, and the best part is that you can escape what tends to be overcrowded tourist attractions. I don’t know about you but I really can’t stand slow walking groups of tourists occupying the whole sidewalk. 

If you're attending one of Brookes' open days (click here for more information and dates) you probably won't have enough time to explore the city in much detail, so I though I should show you every now and then some of my favourite places in Oxford. 

This time I ended up in Port Meadow, a really pretty place and many people's favourite place to take a walk. The recent flood made it difficult to walk the whole way around in my trainers, but I did have my fair share of “oh this view is so pretty I could die” moments. The Norwegian animal life in parks and meadows are quite boring, usually only consisting of a sheep or two, or a cow if you’re really lucky, so a meadow with rabbits, horses and geese was kind of exotic in a strange kind of way. Being a previous rower for 5 years it was also fun to see all the boats! So without further ado, here are some pictures: 


Radcliffe Camera





Any decent meadow needs a pub of course

University of Oxford's examination building



I also thought I should show you the difference between January in Drammen and January in Oxford.


The picture from Oxford (the one without the snow, just to make myself clear) is what it looks like in Norway in April.. No wonder why I love Oxford so much. 


If you have any questions or something you would like me to write about then please comment below! And if you want to share your favourite place in Oxford or anywhere else with me, then please do! I would love to hear about it :) 










           

No comments:

Post a Comment